I had never heard of or used a screencast before I started my master's degree. My instructors were using a screencast to introduce the course to us and explain how to complete assignments. A screencast is a video that is made that shows the viewer the screen that the creator is looking at while also narrating. The video does not only have to consist of the computer screen. Users can also turn on their webcam, so their audience can actually see them as they speak through the video. I was handed a curveball last year in March when I had to learn how to use a screencast due to COVID-19. I remember freaking out and wondering how I was going to teach online, and then I remember that my professors do this all the time using screencasts. I have found that screencast videos are a great way for people to share instructional videos with others and it delivers step-by-step instructions to their students without physically being in the same room.
I decided to compare three screencasts since I have personally worked with two out of the three. Screencastify, Screencast-o-Matic, and Jing.
Screencasify was the first screencast that I worked with because it was one that a professor was using. I thought it looked easy to use. It was very easy to work with. Users just need to make an account and download the Google Chrome extension for it. I like it because since I am always signed into my Google account, all of my screencasts automatically upload to my Google Drive. There are other download options available as well, such as YouTube, email, and embed a code. The only thing that I do not enjoy about the free version of screencastify is that it only allows you to record five minutes. You can upgrade to an unlimited package for $49 a year that allows an unlimited amount of minutes to record and unlimited edits. You can make all sorts of videos using screencastify such as: how to login to the online OPAC, how to send an email, how to check-in and out books online, and how to show students to login to clever using their clever badge.
Here is a screencastify that I made at the beginning of the year to show teachers how to login to our school's OPAC Destiny.
Screencast-o-Matic is another handy tool to have in your toolbox for virtual learning. It offers three different versions a free version, a deluxe version, and a premier version. For the free version, you can record up to fifteen minutes. You can also fix the width of the screen you want to record. You are able to upload your Screencast-o-Matic video to YouTube or download it as a file. You also have the option to add closed captions and/or music. If you are looking for more features, you can pay for the deluxe version, which is $1.65 a month, or the premier version, which is $4.00 a month, and both of those options give you more features greenscreen filters, editing options, and sound effects. Screencast-o-Matic can be used to show teachers and students how to login to their email accounts, how to search for books on the online OPAC, and how to login to Schoology.
Here is a screencast-o-Matic that I made to show my campus how to access Ebooks using the online OPAC Destiny.
- How to login to the online catalog (OPAC)
- How to find research databases
- How to check-in and out books online
- How to use our learning links
- How to send an Email
- How to share a document
- Go over math problems
- Modeling reading strategies
- How to login to Schoology
- How to upload things into Schoology
Hi Lorina,
ReplyDeleteScreencast-O-Matic is my favorite screencast tool to use as well. Although Screencastify is good as well, the free version of Screencast-O-Matic offered all the features and settings I needed to create the video I wanted and needed. I enjoyed reading the list of diverse ways to use the screencast tools!
-Alexis L. Lopez
Hello, Lorina!
ReplyDeleteWhen this whole pandemic started, we were urged to use Screencastify and it was completely free. It's so crazy to think back on those days and the situation we were all thrown in. How I would record and re-record so many times! Now only 5 mins of recording before you have to upgrade?